Where we began…
All businesses start with a vision. Ours came from a dream for humanity to be deeply well and cared for. A movement of the heart. A call to being of loving service that is grounded in abundance within the me, you, we space.
- Me – creating a sustainable business model that is rooted in my values as a therapist and heart centered entrepreneur. As well as fulfilling other parts of my life: health and wellness, livelihood, lifestyle, relationships, spirituality
- You – the clients that we have the privilege, honour and blessing to hold space for in music therapy, voice therapy and counseling sessions
- We – the people we are in community with through our offerings… FYVMT team members, facility staff members, and loved ones of clients
Find Your Voice Music Therapy was born in June 2014 in Katarokwi/ Kingston, ON. Where at this time, music therapy services were not being offered. We began facilitating our services to the seniors in our community within our speciality area of dementia and Alzheimer’s. We continued to expand our offerings to:
- infants and toddlers
- neurodivergent folks – autism, ADHD, OCD
- youth and teens at risk
- mental health
- transgender and non-binary folks
- stroke and acquired brain injury
- hospice and palliative care
In July 2017 we launched the 2nd Find Your Voice Music Therapy location K’jipuktuk/ Halifax, NS. To our knowledge being the first Canadian music therapy practice launching a 2nd company location.
At this time FYVMT also onboarded our first subcontractor – shout out to the lovely Hayley Francis Cann. We continued to work with many incredible Certified Music Therapists bringing their unique gifts, visions and perspectives to the FYVMT family. We would like to extend deepest gratitude to Christine Naguib, Jessica Neilsen, Kimberly Dolan, Kastin Bradley, Graylen Howard, Amelia McGaugh, Alexa Munroe Choquette, Sonja Moller, and Elizabeth Heslinga.
A year in review…
Over the past year we have been focusing on our areas of specialities according to the training and interests of our clinical team. Currently this includes:
- Voice Therapy – transgender and non-binary folks
- Counselling & Music Therapy – mental health such as anxiety, stress, grief, loss and life transitions
- Music Therapy – seniors in isolation, healthy aging, dementia and Alzheimer’s
I also spent time adapting our business model to include planning, preparations, and pausing while on maternity leave October 2022 – March 2023. You can reach more about the before and after experiences through the Costron + Co Journal Space:
- An Entrepreneur’s Journey into Motherhood: 3 Tips To Prepare for Maternity Leave
- Trusting The We Space: Team Support & Culture
We also invested our energy in creating complimentary wellness resources for anyone in across Turtle Island / Canada. An invitation to sign up for our newsletter and receive these resources in areas of mental health, seniors in isolation and the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
The plans ahead…
Ahead we aim to focus on financial accessibility consideration with our offerings through grant writing, namely through our Trans-Formative Voices programming, and services health insurance coverage. As well as focusing on inclusion safe space practices following our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Statement.
We also have an exciting new offering for expecting mothers! Please read more about our new program “Prenatal Music Therapy and Mindfulness” on our website and sign up for our newsletter to be informed about our launch date!
We will be continuing to focus on FYVMT team culture and enriching training opportunities. As it is our belief that through a dynamic support space we’ll have increased capacity to take care of ourselves and others.
The FYVMT management team, including our brilliant Office Manager Michelle Greyling, will also be taking space to streamline and strengthen our systems and operating procedures. In this we’re taking into consideration how this impacts the me (therapist), you (clients) and we (community) spaces.
FYVMT continues to facilitate complimentary consultations for folks to connect and learn more about our offerings. We would be honoured to connect with you!
Here’s to the journey ahead in healing, health and happiness! We are blessed you’re here in celebration with us on our 9th birthday!
Mackenzie & the FYVMT Team (that’s Alexa, Sonja, Elizabeth, Michelle, Richard and Taylor)